Summary of Homer District 33C School Board Meeting May 31, 2016
Parent Kimberley Garcia addressed the Board and requested financial assistance to send 13 Homer Junior High choir students to New York this summer to sing at Carnegie Hall.
The Board of Education recognized a variety of student achievements, including:
· 22 track team members who competed at State this year and set a number of school records.
- 8 Scholastic Bowl members who competed at State this year after winning the IESA Regional and IESA Sectiona It was the first time in Homer Junior High history that one of its Scholastic Bowl teams advanced to State.
- Homer Junior High 8th grader Alette Eide who tied for 22nd place at the 2016 Scripps National Spelling Bee in Washington, D.
Superintendent Kara Coglianese recognized Nora Skentzos, Dir ector of Spe- cial Services, and Meagan Doornbos, Dean of Students at Homer Junior High, who are leaving the District to pursue other career opportunities. Nora was named Direc- tor of Instructional Services for Brookfield District 95 while Megan was named Assistant Principal at Palos South Middle School in District 118.
Superintendent Kara Coglianese recognized Occupational Ther apist Jill Nye
who recently earned her Doctorate from Governors State University.
Union representative Terri Pellizzari introduced the Distr ict’s 8th grade teach- ers. Shannon Schroeder and Laura Collins spoke on behalf of the group and shared an informational video about how students are “learning the Mustang way.”
The Board of Education approved the following personnel recommendations:
· Judith Trainor-Malec paraprofessional/instructional aide, Butler School, effective June 3, 2016
- Erin Smith – 4 FTE Speech Language Pathologist, Young School, effective
end of 2015-16 school year
- John Reiniche – Assistant Superintendent for Business, effective June 30, 2016
- Vicky L. Harris – paraprofessional, Homer Junior High, effective June 3, 2016
- Karen DeFilippis – Math Club sponsor, effective 2016-17 school year
- Karen DeFilippis – Honor Club sponsor, effective 2016-17 school year
- Celeste Rupsis – Video Club sponsor, effective 2016-17 school year
Letters of Intent to Retire
- Alan Korn – custodian, Goodings Grove School, effective June 3, 2016
- Dolores Horazy-Gawel – Volunteer Coordinator, effective June 30, 2016
Leaves of Absence
- Janina Giantomasso – 8th grade special education teacher, Homer Junior High, effective Aug. 22, 2016 through Se 30, 2016
- Victoria Smietanski – paraprofessional, Homer Junior High, effective May 5, 2016 through June 3, 2016; returning beginning 2016-17 school yea
- Katherine Sisto – Transitional Program of Instruction teacher, Schilling and Young schools, effective Aug. 18, 2016
- Jordana Fink – 4th grade teacher, Young School, effective Aug. 18, 2016
- Taylor Ketelaar – 4th grade teacher, Young School, effective Aug. 18, 2016
- Cathyann Marcum-Cruz – 3rd grade teacher, Young School, effective Aug. 18, 2016
- Frank J. Cernak – 5th and 6th grade Gifted ELA/SS teacher, Hadley Middle School, effective Aug. 18, 2016
- Jennifer Kohler – 0 FTE Early Childhood teacher, Young School, effective Aug. 18, 2016
- Regina Livingston – 5 FTE Early Childhood teacher, Young School, effective Aug. 18, 2016
- Ellen Buckley – 4th grade teacher – Differentiation Facilitator, Young School, 2016-17 school year
- Stephanie Wierenga – 1st grade teacher – Differentiation Facilitator, Young School, 2016-17 school year
- Jon Grill – 4th-6th grade Summer Bridge Math Program Principal
- Nicola Carpenter – 5 FTE custodian, Young School, effective Aug. 22, 2016
- Pamela Piwowar – assignment change from clerical aide to building secretary, Butler School, effective June 1, 2016
- James Carpenter – Technology Trainer for after-hours community trainings, 2016-17 school year
- Annette Kane – District Data Management Aide for NWEA Map, 2016-17 school year
- William Pavlich – change in coaching position from 8th grade to 7th grade boys basketball coach
- Jacob Gage – change in coaching position from 7th grade to 8th grade boys basketball coach
- Kristen Giertuga – paraprofessional, 2016-17 school year (recalled)
Homer Junior High School Principal Troy Mitchell presented recommendations from the District’s Extra- Curricular and Co-Curricular Committee, which has been reviewing activity descriptions, expectations, expenditures and participation. The committee recommended the District:
- Raise the activity fee from $25 to $40
- Discontinue four junior high clubs (Computer, Snowflake, Math Olympiad and National Helpers) because of a lack in student interest
- Discontinue the basketball, volleyball and track clinics that are held during the school y Summer programs will continue.
All three recommendations were approved by the Board of Education.
Homer Junior High Dean Meagan Doornbos and Hadley Middle School Dean Jeanine Arundel presented a discipline update, including recommendations from the Parent Teacher Advisory Committee (PTAC) to update the District’s PK-4 Expectations/Handbook language and 5-8 Code of Conduct to reflect requirements mandated in SB100. The recommendations were approved by the Board of Education.
Arlene Siefert, Director of Technology, presented an update on the Distr ict’s Chr omebook Plan and r ecommend- ed the District issue repurposed laptops to all 3rd grade students and purchase 700 Chromebooks for all 6th grade and 8th grade students to use starting in the 2016-17 school year. The Chromebooks are expected to cost the District $140,000. The purchase was approved by the Board of Education, fulfilling the District’s 1:1 Chromebook implementation for grades 3-8.
Also approved by the Board of Education:
- A revised job description and salary adjustment for the Transportation Department Secretary
- A Building Custodian stipend
- Position recommendations (approximately 40 across all buildings) and job descriptions for lunchroom monitors for
elementary and grades 5-8
- Merit pay compensation for administrators
- A continuation of discussions to lease 49 acres of District-owned property on Bruce Road to Konow’s farm for farm- ing purposes
- The hiring of Kelly Kardas to replace Meagan Doornbos as Dean of Students at Homer Junior High
- The hiring of Christine Graefen to serve as the District’s Support Programs Coordinator
- A contract with Crystal Financial Consulting I to provide Financial Services related to financial projections