Summary of the Homer School District 33C
Finance & Operations Committee Meeting
September 21, 2016
Barb Wilson, President Angela Adolf, Vice President Amy Blank, Secretary
Deb Martin, Member Ed Campins, Member Elizabeth Hitzeman, Member Russ Petrizzo, Member
At the September 21st Finance & Operations Committee meeting:
- Retired teacher Karen DiFilippis asked the District to provide a breakdown of projected salary expenditures by groups: administrators, certified staff, non-certified staff, etc. She also asked the board to update the public on potential legislative threats (Senate Bill 231, House Bill 696 and pension reform). She indicated she contacted Senator Christine Radogno’s office and was led to believe the threats would not come to fruition.
- Members went into executive session with external auditors to conduct a routine fraud interview in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards.
- Certified Public Accountants Richard Gaul and Ed McCormick from MPS/CPA presented an overview of the 2016 Audit. They indicated fund balances decreased due to capital projects and final debt payments. Without these two factors, the District would be reporting an increase in fund balance.
- Christi Tyler, Interim Assistant Superintendent for Business, presented an update on the 2017 Tentative Budget. A few minor changes have been made and will be reflected in the Final Budget, which will be voted on by the Board at its next meeting on September 29, 2016. Changes include:
- Adjusting beginning balances to match draft audit ending fund balances
- A trade-in of eight aging buses when the District purchases eight new ones
- The addition of a $30,000 copier lease
- Final grant applications
- A corrected salary adjustment
Tyler also indicated the District has set aside money to purchase radios for District communications. Administrators would like to release a bid in early October and bring a purchase recommendation to the Board at its October 25, 2016 meeting.
- Member Adolf suggested the District review student fees to determine if they are sufficient to offset costs and consistent with surrounding school districts.
The Next Regular School Board Meeting is September 29, 2016 at 7:30 p.m.
A Budget Hearing Will be Conducted Prior to the Meeting at 7:15 p.m.